Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Review: Hellboy II: The Golden Army


Hellboy (Ron Pearlman) and his band of freaks attempt to save the world from an evil otherworldly prince and his aspirations to control the golden army.

That discription is vague and doesn't do the movie justice but it's really hard to summarize this movie. It was awesome though. Director Guillermo del Toro's vision is exquisite. I enjoyed "Pan's Labyrinth" for it's visual qualities. So I am super excited that he is directing "The Hobbit" and that other LOTR movie. He should do it justice.

This sequel to 2004's Hellboy does an even better job all around I would say. The story makes slightly more sense than the first. Visually, it's much better. The action was pumped up and the story has more weight. Plus, given the extreme oddness of the movie, a superhero called Hellboy and other weird creatures in an otherwise normal world, it's deals with some deep issues but also doesn't take itself too seriously.

I remember going to see the first one in the theater and really I have no idea why. I wasn't quite as crazy into movies then. I knew virtually nothing about it. Maybe I wanted to be rebelious and see a movie called "Hellboy." Then again, maybe Tom wanted to see it. He chooses weird movies. ;)

My favorite parts of the movie:

drunken love song singing (seriously hilarious)
all the different visuals
trilogy potential
John Hurt made a cameo as Dr. Broom
Hellboy as a boy

4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Pat R said...

Hellboy 2 was fun; i appreciate that Hellboy doesn't take himself too seriously; and, for sure that director has an amazing imagination... reminded me a lot of his work in Pan's Labyrinth

Followers