Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Review: Cloverfield



Mysterious monster attacks New York City the night 5 New Yorkers are attending a going away party and film their experiences.

I was so pumped about seeing this movie ever since the crazy trailer in front of Transformers. For me, it did not disappoint. I have read very conflicting reviews of people who loved it and people who hated it. I loved it. It was unique with its camera work, marketing, and story, but still very traditional in the monster movie sense.

I was sad when my plans changed and I had to see it at our crappy local theater. However, I was slightly placated when they showed at the beginning that it was being projected with a new digital movie projector and surround sound. (Wow, I thought the 17 commercials and trailers at the front of the film looked remarkably crisp). (Yay, for the awesome Star Trek teaser, more on that later).

I knew going into it, as most people should have, that it was all done with hand held cameras, a la Blair Witch Project. So we sat more towards the back than the front. I had no problems with the shaky camera. It also wasn't too too scary for me. I only remember wanting to look away once. It also shocked the crap out of me at a couple points, which I loved.

I know the people behind us hated the ending as did some others I've seen online, but I thought the ending was very appropriate given the entire story arc. Oh, and it's a monster movie, people die during the movie, ok, didn't you see that coming??? Crazy complainers.

I know J.J. Abrams only produced the movie, but is was another reason I wanted to see it. I suppose I am just interested in anything his name is attached to. Plus, check this out. A scene from the very beginning of the film, I think, anyone recognize the symbol in the corner?



That's right, a Dharma logo, CRAZY easter eggs. I love it!

My favortie parts of the movie:

Hard to define, I enjoyed it immensely!

5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Followers