Friday, May 04, 2007

Review: Spiderman 3


Spiderman (Tobey Maguire) battles 3 villains, New Goblin (James Franco), Sandman (Thomas Hayden Church), and Venom (Topher Grace), and romances two women, Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) and Gwen Stacey (Bryce Dallas Howard), in this third installment to the series.

Well, I think my summary says it all. There were A LOT of storylines in this movie and a lot of flashing back to the other two movies, that seemed unnecessary. However, it was still a very fun, enjoyable movie to watch. The special effects and action were great. I loved the characters and their development. There were some cringe-worthy sappy moments. (I am not sure about that whole dance sequence). Yet, lots of laughs, especially at the expense of the editor of the Daily Bugle, J Jonah Jameson (J K Simmons). (Another of my random connections: I actually know someone who's related to the actor J K Simmons). Well worth seeing if you're a fan of the first two.

There have been lots of rumors about a forth installment and while they wrapped things up, they certainly left room for another movie. However, if director Sam Raimi doesn't come back, I highly doubt that will happen with the current cast.

My favorite parts of the movie:

Character development
J Jonah Jameson
Villian's stories, especially Harry's
Everybody was back, I mean everyone, including Stan Lee (creator of Spiderman, cameos in #1 and #2) and Bruce Cambell (He was the wrestling announcer in #1 and the annoying ticket taker in #2)

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Followers